Wednesday, June 18, 2008

You gotta take the Lord with you, children...

Well, this is my last night in American Samoa...for a few days at least. I am leaving on a plane at 3 PM tomorrow for Western Samoa for a little three day vaca with the missionary families. We are going to go some pretty cool places and stay in a hut on the beach one night. I am really excited. 

Today though, we did some more visits and then did the activity with the kids this afternoon. We played kickball, which was a lot of fun. They didn't care to keep score. They just celebrated when their team scored. They let anyone who wanted to pitch and there was not any like singling out of the slower kids or ball hogs or anything. It was great. These kids are so easy to please. Then we got together and did the human knot (team building activity). They thought it was the coolest thing in the world when they got untangled. Then we gave them three scenes to act out about peer pressure. They had a little trouble understanding what the paper said, but once we explained them, they had a great time thinking of idea of how to do it. I was a dog in my scene because we had four people and 3 characters. Steven had a firm grip of my ponytail (leash) and dragged me right along beside him. It was really funny. Then we talked about peer pressure and what things are bad and do not please God. I gave them a memory verse to work on Sunday and half of them had already memorized it. If I said, "Jump!" they would ask, "How high?" and then do it.  They are great kids. Then we taught them the song "You gotta take the Lord with you..." and they LOVED it! They were so excited to learn a song from us. I need to find some others that they don't know and teach it to them. Check out Marci and Melinda's blog for a video of them singing. I didn't have my camera today, but I am getting some pictures from the girls. Brenda, one of the "tweens" wrote us all out a list of Samoan words and phrases to learn. She is so sweet! I need to learn the words just for her.

After the activity, we went and picked up our dresses from the seamstress. They are amazing. I love mine. I'll get some pictures of me in it on Sunday. I am amazed at how quickly this lady works and how professional it all looks. I love it!

Then we had dinner and walked down to a little bush store with Colleen to get some caffeine.  We had another dance lesson and I am happy to report that I am getting better. There is just like an essence of power and yet grace in these dances and it's ridiculous to try to imitate. I am looking forward to getting the video of the siva up on the sight after we do it at lectureship! That will be a crowd pleaser...no doubt.

Well, I need to get in bed to wake up in like 6 and a half hours to have another long, busy day. I guess that's alright though. I mean I am leaving the country tomorrow and all...

Alofa tunoa ia [you] (love/grace to you),

These are the great kids that we work with learning "You gotta take the Lord with you..." 

3 comments:

Dad said...

Have fun...be careful...all those things dads are supposed to advise you on. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited about that video. Singing is ten times better in an island accent. How cool!

Have a good trip. You probably won't see this until you get back, so skype me! I try to stay on whenever I'm home. And hopefully you'll be able to show me your new dress as well. I really want to see it in person, but that will have to wait until August.

And the dog thing. Classic!

&hearts

Bethany said...

Okay, I finally found Samoa on the globe and good grief, you are far away. Of course I am too but Japan looks huge next to AS. Have a fun side trip. More video of the cute kids! BTW, I like comments too, wink wink...