Tuesday, June 3, 2008

You gotta see this place!

Today was my first real day in American Samoa, here is how it began. I opened my eyes and felt the back of my neck. Sweat, already? was my first thought of the day. I then proceeded to wonder where on earth I was and I was so hot. I then peered out my window and saw the huge ginger plant with its bright red flower at my window and remembered. Oh yeah, I am not in Texas anymore. I am halfway across the world and a mere 14 degrees south of the equator.  (I admit the equator part wasn't there in my first thought, but the rest of it stuck.) I then got up at about 7AM (1:00PM Abilene time) and got ready and had breakfast. We listened to the rain as it fell on the ocean and watched it come in and rain on us. They get about 200 inches a year here. It was incredible. We then went with Colleen on a tour of the island. I never knew a place could be so green. I learned some Samoan words (like i'inga means family) and had some raw fish that Marci my teammate accidentally ordered. It was raw tuna with wasabi and soy sauce. Tomorrow we are going to visit with some members of the church that we should know and Saturday we are going shopping for material for our pul'letasei (hand made dresses). I am so excited. This culture is incredible. I am learning so much every day. I would ask, instead of praying for me, until my next request, pray for the people in the church that I am working with. It is called the Tafuna church of Christ. Thanks so much for the support.

No comments: