Friday, June 13, 2008

Bumps, Bruises, Cuts, and Australian Lifeguards



OK, I know I misspelt "cliff" on the video. I wanted to get it up so I went too fast and didn't catch it. I promise to remember the proofreading mistakes I find next time...

Anyway, we went snorkeling today. It was painful too as the title implies, but it was amazing. We saw so many fish, and more coral than you could ever imagine. It was a little rough at Flowerpot Rock, so we went around the island to Tisa's. It was better there, but still a little rough. We swam around and got a little beat up on the coral and the rocks. I'm a little blue and purple tonight, but it's alright; it was worth it. Here was the insight I got:

There are two different feelings or moments when you are out in the water. There are the moments of pure bliss and happiness. You can't believe you eyes. You can't believe you are so lucky to be in this moment. And then the current hits you and you go into "survival mode". You can't hold onto the rock much longer. There is foam in your face and in your snorkel. You wonder if you should do something about your situation, but you can't figure out what. I felt this cycle time and time again today and I decided it is the cycle of my Christian walk. Sometimes, I can't imagine having any more of the Holy Spirit in me. I make insights; I speak to people's hearts. Well, I don't of course, but God speaks through me and I can feel it. Then there are times when I am out of control. I don't feel God; I don't think I am touching people and I can't imagine ever being on that mountain that I just thought I was on. But I left one thing out of the analogy, you can stand up. When we were snorkling today, it was only about 4 feet deep at the deepest point. I can stand up spiritually in those moments to. I can get back to my praying, reading, fasting, and solitude and God can restore me. I don't always do that though, and I need to figure out why. 

After those thoughts, I was snorkeling out past everyone else, leading Marci and Melinda to a really cool spot I had found and Melinda grabbed my leg. She pulled up out of the water and advised that I did the same. We looked to the shore and saw David and our Australian lifeguard calling us in. We walked back to shore and learned that we were in trouble. We had gone too far. Without realizing it, we had put ourselves too close to the breaking waves and rip tides. Oops, I thought as I sat on the sandy beach. But it was okay. We got in just fine and survived the whole ordeal. 

When we had played in the sand and rinsed off a little (not near good enough for me), we got in the van and headed to the other side of the mountains. We drove up a steep incline and then got to the ridge. I could see the Pacific north and south of the island. There was no way to photograph it but it was too cool. Then we went down the other side and to the national park over there. We went on a jungle trail and ended up getting some really good pictures. We ate a Carl's Jr. on our way home and then showered for like 30 minutes to get the sand off. There is still sand everywhere and thus the second insight: 

I wish that Christianity was more like sand and church was like the beach. When you go to the beach, you get covered in sand. Everyone does. It is inevitable. However much you try to stay out of it, it is like jam and small children. They get the jam on their hands and it is sticky everywhere, but that is beside the point. And then you go home from the beach and you take it with you. Every vehicle you drive in every person you encounter and touch, is left with the sand. I think that perhaps we are too quick to "rinse off" after our time with our Church. We don't want to be bothered by the "sand" and so we try to get it off and leave it in the bottom of our shower. The analogy ends there, but all that just to say, I wish Christianity was more like sand.

 I do love comments and emails [wink, wink]...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for your media presentation! A little slide show, a little commentary. I'm glad you've got the tech knowledge to bring your viewers (me and your mom, mostly) closer to where you are.

I hope your bruises heal fast. Ouch.

&hearts

kara said...

kate,
Wow! The island is so beautiful. I know you mention eating fast food is there a city close by? Everyone probably knows about this place but me I was just wondering. Love, Kara

Bethany said...

Kate, Be careful! Seems like you are getting injured a lot lately. :0) What a beautiful place. Enjoy every minute of it before you are back in Abilene where it's hot and beach-free.

momandlucy said...

Hey Baby Girl! I LOVE the pictures and I especially love to hear your voice. I want more. You know me , I am always thirsty for more.

Kate Huggins said...

Kara, there 17 little villages all over the island. The Carl's Jr. is just one village (15 minutes) away. There is a KFC, a Pizza Hut, Carl's Jr., and McDonald's on the island. No Taco Bell... :(

Bethany, I assure you the injuries are minimal. :) Mostly tiny cut and little bruises...it's part of the experience. I am healing quickly because of the salt water. ;)

I'm sorry the video ends so abruptly. I'll get better at it.

Thanks for the comments.

Wade Huggins said...

hey lil sis thanks so much for the video! it's good to see where you are and hear your voice! I miss you and i love you (tell anyone i said that and i'll hurt you! Love ya sis! have a good one! i should have another blog post shortly!