Saturday, June 28, 2008

Prep-Prep-Preparation!

Today we had a quiet day inside made possible by a nice strong wind and a leak in the sky for a couple of days. I think that the angels go a little crazy here with the sprinklers, but that is just my opinion. I finished one of the books for my Maymester course in Campus Ministry and Wade and I will work on it in Hawai'i. He took the same course as I did (Scary, I know right?!). I did a little more reading and relaxed for what will be my last down day for a while. We are getting increasingly more busy as the days wear on towards VBS. Last night we had a Gilmore Girls marathon and frito pies as we sat down to make the preparation for the VBS snacks and crafts. We went shopping before that and got the supplies and to our dismay, we can't find cotton balls. How are you supposed to make a sheep craft without cotton balls? But we are going to look at the two other possible owners of the cotton today to see if they can help. We are preparing for 40 kids, so we made the following items: 
  • 40 sets of jail bars (Paul and Silas praise God in jail--Joy)
  • 80 Paul and Silas faces
  • 40 potential foam pockets with yarn to sew them together (Ruth and Naomi--Faithfulness)
  • 40 bags of exactly 40 off-brand fruit-loops with yarn for a snack/craft (normal fruit of the Spirit)
  • 40 cut out boats (Jesus calms the storm--Peace)
  • 40 homemade theme name tags with contact paper to protect them
  • 40 paper plates dressed up with a verse and numbers to look like a clock (Patience)
  • 40 short clock hands out of construction paper
  • 40 long clock hands our of construction paper
Needless to say, it took 5 full episodes of Gilmore girls to draw and hand cut all of the things. I have never seen anyone work as diligently as Marci and Melinda battled the stuck together fruit loops, Danielle with the name tags, and I with my clock hands. Turns out the only way to get stuck together off-brand fruit loops apart is to eat the whole thing! Who knew?

Well, today we are going to visit Tasi and Fae, but we don't know how well that is going to work because Fae's baby is due tomorrow. We'll see how she is feeling. David wants to invite her to church: Good intentions, but typical male thinking she could come on her due date and sit in a folding metal chair for 2 hours. We'll also see how that works. They are a precious couple and I am excited to try to see them. 

I'll wait to tell you the rest of the day tonight after the preview to the arts festival thing. 

Thanks for reading and vote in the poll!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fruit loops! Oh, I love fruit loops! I haven't had any in forever and now I'm craving some.

I do enjoy arts and crafts as well, but it sounds like you've had enough for a lifetime. I think those kids are going to have loads of fun!

Can't wait to hear about the arts fair!

&hearts

fireinacan said...

good luck with all that! I'll add "pray for cotton balls" to my list