Saturday, June 7, 2008

Rain, Rain Go Away!

If the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, then the rain in Samoa falls mainly on the island. I know that doesn't make sense, but that is about all I got right now. We started to wash the church van on Friday and it started raining just as we "windex-ed" the windows. The rain was cool and refreshing, for the first hour. But now, 24 hours after it started raining, it's a little different. I am not complaining though. Anyway, last night we went to watch the bats come from their trees to gather food during the night. About a hundred or so bats flew right over our heads as we stood there on the top of a foot hill for one of the mountains. They had about a foot long wingspan. They were Samoan flying foxes, one of the largest species of bats in the world. As the world got dark all around us, the bats kept flying out. It was incredible. 

This morning we selected material for our puletasi (traditional Samoan dresses). David and Danna, our missionaries, say that it will mean a lot to the Samoans if we try to learn some Samoan and we wear the puletasi to church when we get them made. We are trying to learn the culture the best we can, without being offensive to the Samoans. 

We saw a few of the kids that we will be working with today when we were out and about. The Samoan governor elections are coming up and everyone is very excited. Seeing the kids today really got me excited about seeing them at church tomorrow and other times this next week. We have had a pretty relaxed week, to adjust to the time change and all, and now it is time to start our work. I am ready for that. The kids have so much to teach me, I can see it in their eyes, and I can't wait to start learning. 

If you read my blog and have a chance, comment on a post of mine, or shoot me an email (kah07a@acu.edu) so that I can know that you are reading it and begin praying for you.

I would ask now that you begin praying for the "tween" group at our church. These are the kids that I am going to be teaching and working with during the week. This set of kids is the first set that were raised "in the church" and the older members of the congregation are hoping that these will be their next church leaders. We are learning about the conversion of Saul tomorrow and I am hoping to have the kids sing with me. I am so excited about their sweet faces and voices!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your dress! And I hope class goes well for you tomorrow. Good night! It's 11:31 here so it must be 5:31 there. I bet you're eating dinner. I'm exhausted. I went swimming today and got picked up and thrown around a lot by the guys. Makes me feel small and dainty. Yay!

I hope you're doing well and aren't homesick yet.

Anonymous said...

kate i read ur blogs and everything just sounds so amazing...i will be praying for you and everything that you are doing and will be doing. I know it will be amazing because God does such great things through your personality and your spirituallity. keep being you!!! love ya girl and hope ur fiafia....comes outta the bathroom! haha

Brantly said...

kate! i am so glad that you are having an amazing time. the bat stuff sounds scary though. haha thats probably just me. I wish I could see the rain there...rain is my favorite weather. what is the rain like there? anything like abilene?

i will continue praying for you.

i will be at camp this week...but ill try to check your blog in the time after meals. (ill be at kadesh at acu)

-brantly

Kate Huggins said...

The rain is not really like Abilene's at all. It is a steady fast downpour that is continuous for hours on end. It's sunny today though! I live in a low level rain forest.

Bethany said...

Hi Kate! It was great to get a little caught up on what you are doing. Sounds like you are ready to teach and learn. Maybe we will see you in Hawaii next month...?

Kate Huggins said...

Yeah! That will be great! I am so ready to have you back in the states! (I can say "in the states" now that I have left them. I can also say "on the mainland". It's very exciting!)

fireinacan said...

Wow- the bats sound amazing! There is supposed to be some bridge in Houston with a large bat colony- I need to check that out sometime. They're amazing animals, smelly but amazing.