Sunday, June 15, 2008

I Have My Father's Eyes

Happy father's day everyone! Today at church we had a great time. I started out my class by singing and it was great. Class was really short today because the church van carrying 1/3 of my class was rather late. But we sang anyway. Then we read a story about Paul and Silas singing in prison. We talked about how they were joyful even though they were beaten up and thrown in jail. The lesson was about having more to live for because God loves us. It was simple, but well received. When we got into the service, we started off with some songs, in Samoan and English. I think that the Samoan songs were easier today than they were last week, but I still really don't have any understanding. I could recognize some of the words, but I could pronounce almost all of them. I know that it will continue to get easier as the weeks go on. David did an activity that was really interesting. He asked some of the kids to get up and stand in the front. Then he asked the father's of the kids to come up, but not stand by their kid. He asked a visitor that he knew to get up and match the kids to the parents. The man did not know anyone but David and Tia, and none of the kids. He was able to match up Lynn and Colleen, and David and Danielle, but only because they are white. He got some of the Samoans right, but most of them really through him for a loop. David talked about how he could match the ones that looked alike easily. But the ones that looked like the rest of the crowd were harder to get right. He related that to matching us with our Heavenly Father. I thought about it more, as the sermon was translated into Samoan. I thought, I have always been told that I have my father, Dan's, eyes. I have always agreed. I mean blue eyes are blue eyes, but Mom's and Wade's look more similar and my dad's and mine. I thought about the Spiritual application there. Do I have the eyes of my Heavenly Father? Do I work to see the heart of people or do I let myself just look at the surface? I would encourage everyone to give thought to this.

Well, this week is going to be very busy. We are going to visit people tomorrow morning, then going to lunch and to Fiona's with Pua (Tia's wife) to do some Samoan arts and crafts type things, and then hanging out with the high school girls. Tuesday we are going to visit people, do another Tween Activity, and get our puletasi. Then on Wednesday we go to Apia, Western Samoa, for three days and get back Saturday and teach our lessons on Sunday. It is going to be really busy, but all of the work is good and will be fun. I am looking forward to it.

Today we made sugar cookies for David for Father's Day, but I must admit, I am really missing my dad today. I haven't ever been away for a holiday like this. I have another 4 weeks before I go to Hawai'i to meet my family too. I don't mean this to say that I am ruining my time in Samoa missing people, but I do miss my family. I know that I am doing the right thing by being here, but I am seeing that long term missions would mean many more times even more intense than this. I can't imagine missing Christmas, birthdays, or Easter with my family. That is something I have to think about when I say that I want to live out of the US when I am older.

Tonight we are going to have the Bible study with the other palagi (white) Christians and probably get another dance lesson from Colleen. I am going to work on some Maymester homework now and get a little rest for the week ahead.

Thanks for the prayers and support so far. May God bless you and keep you wherever you are.

5 comments:

fireinacan said...

Glad to hear you're doing well via the blog! Saw your grandmother @ church today and she mentioned something about your mom thinking my comments were funny. :-p
Praying for you and the people you're blessing by being over there!

Bethany said...

It is hard being far away from family on birthdays, Christmas, etc. My first New Year's in Japan I was quite down. But it does give you the chance to make different memories instead of doing the same things you always do at home. And Kate, you may have Dan's eyes, but you smile just like your sweet mom!

momandlucy said...

You are the best! I love your insights.Usually I dread July because it means summer is almost over. I can't wait for July and Hawaii!

Anonymous said...

I love you, Kate! Sorry you're feeling a bit down, but I'm glad you are over there, so you can experience something you may never have had the opportunity to experience staying here for the summer.

Keep having a great time and keep being the wonderful teacher and friend I know that you are to those kids. We'll skype soon. ;-)

&hearts

Dad said...

I love you! Dad