Monday, September 7, 2009

Tango Tango Tango

Today was quite interesting. I had to get up for the chapel and family meeting this morning and then I went back to bed because we didn't get into bed until quite late last night. Well, honestly, we were in bed, but we didn't go to sleep until well, late.

So after I woke up for the second time, I got ready and did homework because I don't have class on Monday morning. I knew at that point that the house smelt really good, but I didn't realize the whole scope of what was taking place in the kitchen. Raquel, our cook that just got back from a vacation in Texas, was cooking fajitas! It was amazing! We had guacamole and salsa and everything! You might be asking, aren't those everywhere? But no. I am not in Mexico, spicy food is unheard of here. It's good, but not spicy. So it was good to have a little burn in my mouth.

Then I went to biochem and international studies where we talked about the conquest of the Americas and all that jazz. It is a really sad story the way that the author in our textbook paints it. Sure it was a great thing for Europe but for the people's here, not so much.

We had a little break and then the real party began. We had our tango lesson! First we sat down and heard the history of it and that was interesting. The place of birth of the famous Charles Gardel, the first man who recorded a tango, is disputed between France, Argentina, and Uruguay, so we obviously learned the Uruguayan version of the story. Then we learned the walk of the tango, then the steps, then the embrace or the position and then we put it all together. What was ACU thinking? You might ask, well, this is a big part of their culture and honestly, the way that the arms are connected, you have room for another invisible person in the position. Wimon told us to "leave room for Jesus." We all danced together and there were a couple more Uruguayan guys to help out originally 2-1 Girls to guys ratio.

We went out for empanadas afterword, took a couple of videos, and Matt and I drank some mate. That stuff has like caffeine or something in it because it keeps me up. Taylor isn't going to let me have any after nine o-clock in the future so that I can get more sleep. The thing is that is a social sharing thing. You just pass it back and forth and enjoy it cup by cup. That's not good because you never know just how much you are having!

Oh well, I may be up for a while, but it was a good night!


2 comments:

momandlucy said...

Where's the beef? Fajitas yeah!

Sterling C. Beard said...

You're not drinking from one cup being passed around, though, right? Don't get swine flu, Kate!