Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tan Bueno

Hola mis amigos y hermanos!

!Tuve un buen tiempo este semana porque hizo tan muchos cosas con mis amigos Americano y Uruguayos! (I have had a good week this week because I have done so many things with my American and Uruguayan friends.)

I am sorry that it has been a couple of days since I wrote. I have had so much to do and think about this week. First of all, we will start with the tour of Montevideo on Wednesday afternoon.

It was really fun, but very long. We all pilled into a bus and situated ourselves for the three hour long bus ride. I thought it was going to shorter, but it takes a lot of time to get all around the city to the different points of interest. We visited the oldest cemetery in the area, the port of Montevideo, the cerro or hill that gives Montevideo its name (monte=mountain or hill), and various monuments and famous places in the city. We got out at a couple of places, but for the most part we were on the bus. It was cold and wet outside the bus and nice and dry and warm inside the bus, so naturally, a bunch of worn out 20-somethings (or almosts) found it very difficult to stay awake for the duration of the program.

After that we booked it (got there fast) to the gym where we did step class. This was VERY difficult, not because it was in Spanish and not because I am out of shape, but just because I am not coordinated enough to do all of that. I think I liked aerobics better, but they were both challenging.

Today we got up and had chapel and talked about some more housekeeping types of things. Then our director surprised us and Rosalinda had made zucchini bread for us! So good! After physical chemistry, I did some more homework for Spanish that afternoon. After lunch, we left for the University, about a 20-25 minute walk if you are going directly. We had oral presentations today, all in Spanish. Mine was about Tom Hanks and it went really well. My teacher and I agreed that the movie, "You've Got Mail" or "Tienes Correo" was a very nice/pretty/cute movie. The word used was "lindo" that means something like a mixture of those three words. After being force fed Spanish for three hours, we went to the big nice grocery store. It has the "Imported/Foreign Food" Section so that was fun.

Tonight we had an English conversation lab thing for people at the church and it was a lot of fun. We had three Uruguayos at our table and one didn't like to speak English at all. I think in the hour we were there he said like 10 words in Spanish. They are so graceful about helping me with my Spanish. I love talking to them. After that we went out and got pizza. The whole bill, for ten of us, was something like US$17. Awesome!

Now I am chilling in my room and wondering what the fin de semana, the weekend, will hold. I don't have any classes tomorrow. I think that Abel and I are going to go shopping and to the Cambio to change money some time in the morning, but not too sure when. I hope to have more pictures after this weekend.

Love yall!

3 comments:

momandlucy said...

Is that taco bueno?

Kate Huggins said...

no it means "so good"

Sterling C. Beard said...

$17? Gotta love the exchange rate! Keep it up, Kate. ;-)