Sunday, September 6, 2009

El Fin de Semana

(P.S. For all your North Americans reading this, the title means "The Weekend.") Entonces...

I didn't realize that it had been so long since I had written. So we will start with Friday. Friday, I didn't have class, so I got up about 11:00AM. Which was lovely. I did some Physical Chemistry homework and chilled up in the TV loft until people got out of class. Then we had lunch at Casa. Since it was most inconveniently raining, we watched Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade. I had never seen an Indiana Jones movie before (I know...American scandal) and I liked it. After that we took a walk around town to look for some yarn and a couple of other things. For those of you who don't know, knitting is a really good way for me to relax and get my mind off of stressful things, so I brought my needles down here, but needed some yarn. I got some beautiful, soft, fat, blue yarn for about U$S 6 and didn't realize just how much I had gotten. My Spanish ability comes and goes in waves and I had no idea how much I was getting for my money. ANYWAYS...

We then took a walk over to the Catholic University where some of us take Spanish. When we got there we saw some signs for an audition, we figured we would check it out. The sign said they needed actors, so we stopped by. We talked to them for a while and found out that they were casting for three short films and that they would let us be extras. How fun is that!

After that, we walked home and chilled and watched Anastasia that night. So fun. Then we played a bit of Taboo and it was really funny. We kept trying to use the spanish words, but of course, that is illegal.

Saturday, we all slept late (lucky for me I got two days) and when we finally got up, we grabbed some lunch and started a project for our international studies course. I am assigned to a group that has to walk about the area we live in looking for churches and write essays on them. It's interesting, but our area is a little bit big, but there aren't hardly any churches to be found. We'll work more on that later. In the afternoon, some of the students, Dr. Sutherlin, and the Walkers went down to a local like art-craft-fair thing. I decided that I needed some quiet time and I was so glad that I took it. So very glad. I got to talk to my family for like over an hour and that is time that I needed too.

Then last night, we went out into the courtyard of our building and drank mate (a local coffee-like drink) and sang church songs for a long while. We had a great time harmonizing and it was just flowing. It was so cool. It's fairly cold here, so the singing, hot drink, sweatshirt, and cold air made for like the perfect night.

Today, Dara, Linley, Taylor, Lauren and I went to a Catholic Mass for church and it was really interesting. Then Linley, Taylor and I went to lunch at the pizza place that I already told you about (so delicious and cheap). Then Matt, Abel, Lauren, Ben, Taylor and Rachel and I went to the Ferreia, like a street/flea market, but it was closing down by the time we got there. Matt and I got kind of separated from the whole group and walked around and looked at books for a while. Then we took a detour on the way home to do more walking of our neighborhood for the aforementioned religion project. Matt and I get along well, so the time passed quickly.

Tonight, we had singing with the youth of the church at five, and then Josh, Dara, Linley, Lauren, Amanda, Matt, and I went out with the youth to a mall and hung out for a while. We made it back in time for our 9 o'clock worship with the whole study abroad group. We talked about hospitality and I got to think about Samoa again...ahhh...

Then some of us went out for ice cream and we have called it a night. I know there is a lot of fact and it sounds like a schedule, but most of the inside jokes we have created, my sweet readers, you would not understand. I am having the time of my life. I can't wait to come back and tell these stories, and more, in person!

2 comments:

momandlucy said...

I enjoy reading these blogs. I am so glad you are having so much fun.

Sterling C. Beard said...

Egad--you mean to tell me that, in addition to the Star Wars movies, you've never seen any of the Indiana Jones films?

Listen, the next time we hang, it's gonna be a movie marathon. ¡Muchas películas para tí!