Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So much to write about...so little time!

It's been such an amazing couple of days since I last wrote. Knock on wood, I am really hitting my stride here and having a great time doing it.

Yesterday, we had class (pchem) and then I did some homework. After an amazing lunch, once again, I had class at the Catholic University and had a fairly good day for my Spanish. I have found once again that my language ability to comprehend and respond in one fluid motion, so to speak, comes and goes. One day I will be blabbing along and the next day it's like someone has come in with a lasso and tied my tongue to the top of my mouth, nothing makes sense and even less comes out. I hope that tomorrow is a good day because we have to go back to the University.

Then last night we had to do some research for our religion project and it was interesting. We are finding churches in the area and having a hard time doing that. But we will get it done, well, we have to by Friday!

Then today before class we went to the Alianza which is like an learning place for Uruguayos to learn about American language and culture. We have a chance to volunteer to lead groups and help out there this semester. I was really impressed with the place and think I will go back this semester to check it out a little more.

Then on the way back from the Alianza, we passed a street vendor that was selling jerseys for the Uruguayan team that we were going to see today. So Abel, Allie, and I got a jersey each and we were so excited to wear them to the game.

But before the game we went to the legislative palace where the Senate and the House meet. There was a wonderful library and it was absolutely beautiful. It is all basically made out of marble and granite. It was designed by an Italian architect and finished in 1825. It was not just build, but I want to say sculpted because it was so beautiful inside. The intricacy of the building and the fixtures was unsurpassed by most of the things that I have seen in the world. Pictures will be better on facebook because I had to turn my flash off and didn't get very good pictures at all.

After our tour we got in a taxi, 4 at a time and went down to the stadium! We got there quite early, but we took pictures and it was good to have a bit of down time. The game started and it was fairly quiet, but as the match went on it got a bit crazier. I loved the songs and chants (most of them) and got some video recording that might or might not make it up on the internet, depending on my free time and homework in the next couple of weeks. When the sun went down it got pretty cold. The tights, jeans, long sleeve t-shirt, jersey, sweatshirt, wind-breaker, gloves, scarf, and hat were all essential and didn't feel like enough some times. It was so much fun though. I hope to make it to some other game this semester, but we will see. Really, I wasn't expecting to enjoy actually watching the game but it was fun. The fans made the whole experience though!

Today was such a full day and I am excited to be able to share it with you. We get to have a bit more sleep tomorrow because our chapel/family meeting was cancelled! Hurray! I have a lot of Spanish homework to do (hurray for two two-hundred word essays) and some P.Chem to check for tomorrows class. I hope this finds you all well and happy. Thanks for the support and comments!

1 comment:

momandlucy said...

Wow sounds fun. The pictures never showed the game, just peeps. Some of us Texans can't go to soccer games. i was amazed at how big the stadium is.