Thursday, June 3, 2010

What a ride! My life among the Mayans!

Well, the last few days have been really interesting. Ever since I got to Chichi (in the mountains) I have done so many things that I never said I would do:

1. Start a prednazone pack for 193 bedbug bites all over.
2. Each hot cornflakes soaked in corn juice.
3. Take a 5 minute hike to the corn mill at 6 in the morning.
4. Participate in a 2.5 hour church service on a Sunday afternoon.
5. Eat multiple internal organs.
6. Hit my head (repeatedly on door frames).
7. Go for four days without a shower (baby wipes don't cut it).
8. Eat at least the equivalent of 4 corn tortillas at all three meals of the day.
9. Get good at chugging hot corn drink.
10. Kill a chicken. Yep, last night was my turn to help make dinner.

Although our village doesn't have water yet and we are at a hotel this afternoon taking showers, I am still loving my life. I have learned so much about myself and God and his provision. We have survived a volcanic erruption, a hurricane, mudslides, sinkholes, floods, downed roads, and now an earthquake. The hand of God and that alone has shielded us over the last week.

I am happy to say that I am recovering from the bug bites and now that I have new bedding, I am not getting new bites! I am lucky to work at a clinic though, that has medicines and doctors and nurses all around.

Here's a little bit more about my day to day: I get up at 5:30AM and get dressed. Then I help with chores, what I can, and then eat breakfast with my family (usually not "breakfast food"). Then we pile into the trucks and drive between an hour and three hours to get to the village that we are doing clinic in that day. Then we get out, get out all the stuff, and set up shop. Patients come and we take vitals and talk with them during consult. Then we pray with them and get their medicines for them. After all the patients have been seen, we load up and drive either to Chichi for some internet time and or food. Then we take the 45 minute drive up a non-paved road back to our village of Paxot Segundo. I get home and help with more chores or watch a movie with the kids (last night I killed a chicken for us). After we eat dinner and I sit there not knowing what they are saying. I politely excuse myself, take a baby wipe shower and crawl into bed. I journal and read and then go to sleep...The next morning we do it all over.

I love my life right now though (not the not showering part) but I really do. It is so interesting and our patients and family are all so sweet. I have not been too homesick, but I am ready to get to the coast where they have water. The good news is that they opened the airport again yesterday! Haha. We laugh so much about the little victories like no new bites, hearing English songs, and getting a shower after four days!!! We were sooooo excited...yes!!

So yeah, just be in prayer that God continues to be with us and our patients! I love all of you and can't wait to give you details when I get home!

6 comments:

momandlucy said...

You definitely did not get this endurance from your momma. Wow! A chicken? OMG!

momandlucy said...

Answer your poll. I am curious.

Rosalinda said...

I'm so proud of you for keeping your focus on the people there. In Africa, I kept thinking, "If I wanted to, I could get out of this. But none of the people around me has that choice." What a blessing you are to them! Just be sure they know you love them...

Kate Huggins said...

I don´t have an aquamarine...

Dara said...

Goodness that sounds like a lot of fun, but I know you are working hard too! Kinda reminds me of Trek except longer :) what kind of bug bites did you have? I've had several mosquito bites.

fireinacan said...

Ughh, bug infestations are miserable. Don't think I have a story that can stand next to yours though. Way to man up on the organs too, I hate the texture. And we're gonna have to make some fresh chicken when you get back to A-town...