Thursday, June 10, 2010

To the Lake and the coast




Man! So much has happened in our story since I last wrote. Where to begin is the real question...
 
Well, Saturday Garrett and I went to clinic with Sherri and then had lots of time to chill at home and hang out with the family. All of the chickens were safe this time though...Sunday was really exciting in a lot of ways. We went to Chi Chi to go to the market and shop. I was able to find some good stuff at "good prices" from some very friendly vendors. Then we went to the hotel and showered again! Highlight of the day...lol. We got home just in time for them to dress me up in their Mayan garb before going to church. This consists of a top that tucks into a wrap around skirt that is tied with a very tight belt around your natural waist. While it was fun for a while, it occured to me later that the top dyed my hands, watch, and arms a light pink color...Oh well. The more color on me the merrier...right?
 
After our 2 and a half hour church service, I thought I was going to get to go home to change but boy was I wrong. It was starting to get a little uncomfortable and I w feeling a little faint and my stomach hurt, but I climbed into the back of a truck as instructed with my family and we went down the hill. We went to a funeral for the mother of one of the elders at church. No one paid attention though...the kids in my family ran around crazy and my family just sat and talked. By the time we left, I was feeling really quite faint and didn't know if I could make it up the hill to get home. It was steep. But I did and when I got there after a few more pictures, I took off the skirt and top and put on some scrubs. I thought I would feel better but I didn't. To make a long story short I got pretty sick that night and didn't feel good the next day...
 
The next day though, we went to Lake Atitlan for our "tourist day". Although I didn't feel quite right, it was so much fun. We went on a boat ride  to some hot springs that were really just a warmer side of the freezing cold lake. We had lunch (they had lunch) and then we shopped. Luckily, Garrett didn't feel like doing much shopping either so we kinda sat and wandered around at a good pace. That night I had so much fun with my family though, they were so great. They wanted to learn some English and the ladies knitted with me (I taught them) and that was just great.
 
Tuesday was our last day in clinic in the highlands and I got to be a denist again. I really like that (maybe too much). I got to give three shots (in the mouth) and then got to pull more teeth. It was great! We got home early so I rested and packed. That night, for our last night, my family asked me what I wanted to eat and then ended up makeing the most amazing fried chicken I have ever had! It was soooo amazing but i couldn't eat too much of it. I took lots of pictures with my family and then said goodnight! It was a little bit sad, but I was ready to have a new bedbug-free bed. For those of you who were wondering, I had bed bugs and those were the bites that I have talked about. i am sorry for that oversight as far as blogging is concerned.
 
Wednesday we switched with the team at the coast. We me at Wendy's and had a great burger before heading out to the coast. After that we went to church in Chicacao and then to our new homes. My new home is so amazing!!!! It has a floor, a ceiling, a TV (world cup starts tomorrow), a fridge, and so many more things that I love I can't even count. I had veggies last night and pancakes this morning! I love it!
 
Besides the house, my family is great! Everyone is so nice and I have a little brother that is so precious! He is 11 which means he is the same age (more or less) as my mom's fifth graders that I love working with. They love soccer and there is a TV in the eating room so we aregoing to be watching a lot of soccer. They told me that I should skip clinic tomorrow to watch the first game! Lol. I can't but that would be fun. They are soooo nice.
 
Today was also amazing! We got to come to Clinica Ezell and watch surgery. I got to scrub in on one case and feel the muscles and arteries inside the girls arm. It was amazing!!!! Then I got to cut the sutures and I just love love love it. I got to watch some other cases and have been doing a lot of translating. It is good. I am able to do some of my chaplaincy stuff in Spanish and it is great! I talked to them as they were going to sleep and waking up because the nurses with the team don't speak spanish...it is good for us though to practice.
 
anyway!! I am doing good. thanks for the prayers!!! Love and miss yall!

No comments: