Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nu'uuli Wednesday



Hey, sorry about no posting yesterday. I ended up having a little birthday party for Colleen led by her adorable friend Micah...just kidding about the adorable part any way. It was a let down for both Colleen and myself and the other innocent bystander. We watched the movie Anapolis with James Franco and I promptly fell asleep. We had a good birthday for her though. 

Then this morning I woke up and finish off my homework for my class. I am relieved to have that over with. Then I relaxed until one o'clock and Colleen took me to Nu'uuli to see the kids. She dropped me off and I walked to Ruth's house. We went and gave out some pictures for the kids to see. It was nice. They got really excited to see their pictures. Then we got some kids together and played a game. They tried to teach it to me, but it was hard to run and catch the ball with 3 four-year-olds tugging on your arms and legs. A couple of teen-ish-age guys came out and played and I was then deemed useless because of the kids following me around. 
I went over to the side and they played dodgeball for a little while. Then all the kids got disinterested and came over to me. We sang some VBS songs and they remembered all of them. Then we played a game kind of like ring-around-the-rosie. But it is all in Samoan. They make up games because they have all this time and little supervision. I mean they have enough, but they have a lot of free time on their hands. 

After a while of that, we (the girls) went to the fale infront of the compound and had dance practice. I taught them Savalivali and an electric-slide type line dance. They continued to teach me dances and I continued to fail at doing them properly. We dance for probably 3-4 hours. My arms are absolutely worn out. I can't feel my feet or keep my arms up tonight. I am going to be feeling it tomorrow. 

It is a strange phenomenon: When I am anywhere else, an ie (E.A.) lavalava (sarong) around my jeans feels really funny. But when I am at Nu'uuli, not having one on makes me feel naked. None of the girls will dance with out an ie. I guess it is just a more Samoan place to be and so I feel like I need to conform more. 

After we all danced, they asked me to sing. They all lined up chairs and were like, "Okay, Kate. It's your turn. Sing..." And I said, "What do you want me to sing..." They replied that a ballad from High School Musical would be appropriate, or a medley of Disney movie songs. I sang for them for a little while. Red all the time...Then more people started gathering outside and I stopped singing. They were so cute. They thought that it was really good and I didn't. I mean, a little High School Musical and some Can you feel the love tonight, would have really been enough. They insisted on some Little Mermaid and some other stuff. I was so embarrassed. They deserved it; I had watched them dance all afternoon and they didn't complain. 

I am now responsible to plan out two devos for these same girls, about 13-20 years old. I think we are going to do one on Friday and one on Saturday. I think tomorrow I am going to spend time thinking and praying about what I can tell these girls that they need to hear. 

If you have any ideas, please let me know! I know that God can work in many ways and I know that your opinion would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for the support and see some of you (my family) soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked Annapolis. I'm sad you fell asleep, but that's what you do. *sighs*

And I'm not sure what you should teach those girls. You would know better than me, having spent all that time over there. Maybe you should do something like "Being Beautiful in God's Eyes" or...I don't know. That's my only idea. Hope you do well!

&hearts