Monday, May 17, 2010

The X Files: Xela, Guatemala

Hey readers!

I am happy to report that I am in Guatemala safe and sound. My first host family lives about a block from the language school that we are studying at. I love my host family. We have had lots of good food (mostly vegetarian to boot). Most interesting goes to the fried bananas and most common goes to...drum-roll...rice and beans! It'll work. There is a ton of coffee as well so we are happy. Spanish school this week is 5 hours a day and then activities in the afternoon. When we are in the school, we have to speak Spanish or we get punished. My teacher (we are all one-on-one) is Nery and he is a young-ish nice guy that likes to make fun of my Argentine accent. He's nice but likes to laugh. My first task was to say these sentences: Lleve mis llaves y others like that with plenty of "ll" and "y" so that he could laugh at me.

My group is 100% awesome! They are all nerds like me that likes to talk about their medical experiences...love it. I do have about the best spanish of the group which is interesting.

Anyway!! I love it here. Love it. Couldn't be happier to date. Thanks for the prayers and all. I hope that all is well with you.

-k-baby

4 comments:

Mission Possible said...

aww...that's great. Looking forward to more posts :).

xoxo..alofa tele..

Schlinley said...

I knew you would love it once you got there! I'm glad you are already having a great time. That is funny that you have about the best spanish! Enjoy your time there cause before you know it you will be back in boring old abilene with us! :) Miss you already!

Dara said...

Fried bananas are good! I had some in Miami, along with rice and beans. Haha! I laughed when you wrote that he laughs at your Argentine accent (pretty good compilment though, as long as you don't sound like a Gringo). I'm sad I'm not there to work on my Spanish too ;)

fireinacan said...

Glad you made it and keep rocking the Southern Cone accent!