Monday, August 31, 2009

First Day of Classes

Hello there faithful readers!

Today was the first day of classes for us here at Casa ACU. We started off the day with some breakfast and a chapel service at 8:30 and 9:00. We sang songs and talked about household things that we need to get accomplished. Obviously a lesson about servanthood was implied. Then I had a break and actually got ready for the day. It was warm and sunny until we went outside, then it got cold and rainy. We went to the store about a block away called America Latina and some of the other students got some supplies.

It was interesting because the only group that could go were those of us not in first year spanish. So because of that, we were all fairly good speakers and listeners so there was not too much translating for each other.

On our way back it started raining and the rain was really cold. We ran back to Casa and I had some chill time until lunch. We had pasta and tortas fritas (like giant sopapillas). They were delicious.

From there I went upstairs to biochem and for the majority of my readers, explaining all of that would be too much. Dr. Sutherlin tried to let us out early and then remembered that we had class all the way until 3:00 and not 2:30. Since we are all here in Casa, she just called us back for another thirty minutes.

After that thrilling class, we had a three hour class of INTS about Uruguayan and South American Culture and stuff like that. I think that that class in particular will be good to have in order to remember why I am here this semester. I am hoping and praying that I can dive into my studies and into this culture whole-heartedly.

We are going to start a class for english speaking on Thursday nights for people at the church. I am hoping to be able to converse in some english and spanish and really grow through that experience with a conversation partner. I am also hoping to volunteer at the elementary school once a week to read and stuff to the kids there. They are in english from the time that they are little, but much like spanish in the US, it's not reinforced at home and so they forget easily. What an opportunity is that to break stereotypes of Americans and such for little kids!

Please be in prayer for my ministry here as it is with our group and with the Uruguayans that I am blessed to interact with. Tomorrow I start class as a foreign exchange student at the University Catolica here in Montevideo! Pray that that goes well.

Love and Blessings!

1 comment:

momandlucy said...

hat will be fun to read with the elementary students! Wow. My class want to skype with you!