Sunday, August 30, 2009

Last Day of Summer!!

So today officially marked our last day of summer here in Uruguay. That is because of the fact that we are starting school tomorrow, not because the weather is changing. Although, it is in fact changing. Apparently it is turning back to winter tomorrow. We are going to be having highs in the fifties instead of the eighties like they have been.

Today we got up and went to church which was of course, all in Spanish. It was sweet magic, but naturally, I couldn't understand much because the men that were speaking spoke so fast! I am so excited about being able to understand more and more as the semester goes on.

After church, we greeted everyone (with a kiss on the cheek of course) and then went back to Casa. We decided to go to the other feria, street market and walk around for a while. We all spent about an hour there in small groups of about three. I got some lunch from a bakery for about $2 and kept walking. We saw all sorts of things at the market: puppies, bunnies, plants, clothes, household goods, knicknacks, and much more. It was all very cheap and the streets were very crowded. For me it was like being in a giant, downtown, Ross, the day before Christmas. (for those of you who don't know me, I don't like shopping that much, Ross, or the day before Christmas eve). Honestly though, I enjoyed the experience. When in Rome, right?

After that we walked home and while some of them went out to lunch, I took a nap. Thrilling, I know.

Then when I got up we went to the mall at Tres Cruses, the bus station. I got some school supplies, like a folder that is the size of Alaska and some cool pens I might have to stock up on them before I get home. We decided to take a little excursion after our time with the youth from the church this evening. We went down to the beach and threw around a frisbee for a while. It got dark so we headed back for about an hour long walk. Ben, Abel, and Taylor kept Linley, Dara and I safe though.

Finally, we had our worship in english tonight at 9:00. Wade leads a nine-o-clock worship in Abilene so it is ironic that we have them here too. We discussed the people in the Bible that had cross-cultural experiences and discovered that most of anyone who is anyone in the Bible had those types of experiences at some point during their lifetime. So cool to think about.

Well, kids, classes start tomorrow so I am going to have to sign-off here. I hope and pray that all of you are doing well! :)

1 comment:

momandlucy said...

I am soooo glad to have my goofy girl back. That makes life good for the mamma.