Friday, October 2, 2009

Recovery from BA

This week has been overshadowed with tiredness from our trip to BA. We got back late Tuesday night and grabbed some pizza and went to bed. Castrobo's, our favorite pizzeria, is almost always open, which is convenient for late night snackages. Wednesday, we had class for most of the day. But in the afternoon the few of us here who are pre-health majors got to go help out at a local clinic which was amazing. We got to help med students take notes and weigh people and such for a heart-healthy prevention event just down the street. I got to learn some new Spanish vocab like hipertensiĆ³n and glicemia (which mean what you think they do, hypertension and glucose level). It was a great opportunity to see cross-cultural medicine and how globalized medical practices and standards are.

Then Thursday, we had class and then Spanish in the afternoon. Our teacher gave us a TON of homework to do in Spanish and we started learning a new tense. My Spanish has been kind of off for a couple of days. I think it is most fatigue. I am also in the phase of cultural adjustment that the newness of the language has worn off so I am finding that I am getting a bit lazy about using it. I need to concentrate more on taking advantage of this opportunity to learn.

Thursday night, Linley and I led another conversation club at the Alianza and it was fun again. We talked about Uruguay, Argentina, and the States. I love talking with them and seeing them try so hard to learn and understand English. They really work hard!

Today I mostly wasted the day uploading pictures and catching up on some homework. We have started a tradition of cooking all together on Friday nights. Allie cooked this week and we had orange chicken and fried rice that was really good! I made some "dirt" and banana pudding for everyone. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I had it tonight. It reminded me a lot of home.

Anyways, no big plans this weekend besides planning our trip to Chile and getting ready to go to Brazil! Thanks for keeping up!

1 comment:

MAMA said...

You know how to travel! So glad that you are having this opportunity. We shared your adventures with you and remembered those things that we had seen as well. So glad that you had an AMAZING birthday. Love you, MAMA