Tuesday, November 24, 2009

More Punta del Este and School

Well, the semester here in Montevideo drones on. Teased by brief glimpses of what it was like in the beginning of the semester, we have settled into being full time college students again. I can't believe it but our time here is slowly but surly growing to a close. Although the countdown is substantial, it is much more about the amount of work that we have to do now at the end of the semester. I usually set myself up such that in the end of the semester, I can coast along at a comfortable pace as to not stress myself out. However, this semester, punctuated by trips and other fun things, has come to a climax both time-wise and grade-wise. It is going to take quite an academic push here at the end, but it has definitely been worth every bit of the work.

Last weekend though, Dara, Alli, Karaline, Ben and myself set off for Punta del Este for a weekend on the beach and a time to get away. Our little adventure started Friday morning with a short bus trip and ended on Sunday afternoon. Friday, we walked several miles to the beach. Ben and I were up at the front of the group and had some really good conversation on the way. We hung out on the beach that night and had some trouble finding a bus to get back to our hostel, but that was alright. That night we made breakfast for dinner and had a bit of a pancake cook-off between Ben and I, but my famous no spatula flip and chocolate chip Mickey Mouse definitely won no problem.

Saturday it was a little too chilly to go out to the beach, so we went down to the little town and walked around the mall and the artisan markets there. It was a great adventure and a great way to relax and stretch our legs. We had some McDonald's which was delicious and there was even ice in our glasses! That afternoon, we continued walking and went down to the lighthouse and the port where we found and photographed a sea lion of some sort that was eating the leftovers that the fishermen were throwing in the port. We found a little gazebo and sat and talked for a while. That night, we went out for Alli's birthday and had a great time. The best part of the trip by far was just the people on it and the way that we interacted with eachother throughout the weekend. It was super low stress and we got to cook a lot and talk and relax before this week sat in.

This weekend, we are going to Rocha which will be a mix of beach and homework and finals study for me. I am going to try to enjoy myself, but I also realize that I can't give up academically just yet!

Thanks for the prayers and support!!
Kate

No comments: